Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2013

What's in my Hoop? - Freestyle French Knot Kit

I had a truly lovely day out at Buckland Abbey last week. It's a beautiful National Trust property with stunning gardens and a really interesting history - if you're ever in Devon, UK, I highly recommend it!

Here are a couple of photos from the day:




I found an unexpected little treasure in an art gallery based at the Abbey, in the form of this embroidery kit...


The kit contains a piece of hand-painted calico which has a pretty floral design, and the idea is that you freestyle french knots onto the painting to form the flowers. I haven't tried anything like this before so I'm really looking forward to the freedom of the design.



There are some really pretty examples of how this works on the artist Anne Woodgate's website here, and here is one beautiful example of a much larger design...

http://www.annewoodgate.com/collection/

I'm going to treat myself to some relaxation time with this kit - I think a cup of tea and some biscuits would compliment it well! I'll update on my progress (with the kit...not the tea and biscuits).

What's in your hoop right now?

xx

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, I have not a hoop going at the moment.
    That may change by the end of the day.
    I'm toying with an Elvis Costello lyric for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete