Pages

Monday 9 July 2012

Make-up case makeover

Today I wanted to introduce an old friend. It might not look like much but it's been with me through thick and thin...

This is actually my most beloved make-up case. As a make-up obsessed teenager I desperately wanted a professional aluminium make-up case for my birthday. Although my mum and dad couldn't get me one at the time (they were pretty pricey!) they used their combined genius to put together this bad boy for me - a tool chest, with a big mirror glued into the lid, and some homemade compartment dividers.

It travelled with me to University, my first home and through total of 7 house moves. The reason for me sharing is that I have a confession to make, for in recent years I've totally neglected my old friend, and this is what its insides became...

Aka total and utter chaos (and don't get me started on how old some of that make up is, there are students at the College where I work who are younger than some of those items). I decided it was time for a ruthless purge of all old make up, and a thorough clean of the case, which I re-lined with some pretty papers...

And then re-organised my remaining make-up stash, including some new purchases from E.L.F (more on those to come in another post). This was the end result...

From left to right I now have separate sections for my face products, eye products, lip products and then random beauty 'gadgets'. I'm hoping this will make getting ready in the morning a bit easier (and less of a make-up based lucky dip), and also stop me forgetting about the different make-up I own.

I've really enjoyed this little project (I can call turning out my own mess a project, right?), it's certainly encouraged me to try some new make-up, and it feels really good to have thrown away some of the older items. I'm trying to stick with a 1-year rule from now on to make sure everything is a bit fresher.

I hope it inspires turning out of make-up stashes, and I can highly recommend the organisational abilities of a metal tool case (just carry it flat, if you pick it up by the handle chaos ensues as nothing is held in place, which I discovered to my peril).

No comments:

Post a Comment