Pages

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Random Review Wednesday - Already Dead

Sometimes I worry that I read too many vampire related books....and watch too many vampire related films and TV shows.

Then I come across something like this book and realise that no, as long as there are original pieces of chilling magic like this out there then there is still room for more vampire-lore out there.

To say this book is fast paced would be an understatement, I was hooked from the first page. Add to this the character of Joe Pitt and you get a pretty perfect read. He shouldn't be that likeable...a Vampyre with a dark background and blood on his hands, but I found myself getting attached to him in the same kind of way as I did to Marv from Sin City, mostly because you know that however dark Joe gets, he'll do anything for the people he cares about. The first person perspective (which I always love) means you're right there in Joe's head throughout...and sometimes it's a very difficult place to be. I love Charlie Huston's take on Vampyre's. I don't want to spoil anything, but I found it provided another really fascinating take on the whole mythology. Huston throws in some zombie's for good measure, just to crank up the interest that bit more. The story itself was, for me, an engaging crime story...horrible and dark, and at times uncomfortable, but well crafted with a few twists and turns. The supporting characters (Phillip, Lydia and Evie particularly stood out for me) add some other elements to the book including humour and a romance so complicated it actually somehow achieves more realism than so many other 'dark romances'. The first book leaves some unanswered questions...which have intrigued me so much I've already started on the second book in the series.

Definitely recommended for any crime and vampire fans alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment